Ep 14: Startup Accelerators 101 and Success Tips with Brian MacMahon
Have you ever wondered how an accelerator works? Or what an accelerator looks for? Then this episode is for you. I sit down with Brian MacMahon, Founder of Expert Dojo, an accelerator for early-stage high-growth potential startups. Brian shares how he came to found Expert Dojo; and shares his insights on what it takes to be an entrepreneur and make it. We cover the chances of making it; and how the investor community really works. We also discuss Brian’s new crowdfunding program to allow everyday investors to participate and invest in startups.
- What is the Expert Dojo? We are an accelerator for early-stage companies; which means we invest in the riskiest companies; we are not angels or venture capitalists. We work with founders – focus on your growth in a 20 to 30 week intensive program. We go through everything from branding, personal branding, vision, how do they grow their company? What kind of tactics do they use? What kind of strategies do they build together all the way through to actually scaling
- What are the acceptance criteria to get into the Expert Dojo? They include – ability to get funding; ability to execute; showing up prepared; grit and determination; ability to build a team of different skills
- How do we help people build the entrepreneurial skills? Start learning early; do things that a company would do. Learn to see a problem then learn to solve that problem. Parents have to do their part and help their kids
Insights and nuggets of wisdom:
- Four stages of entrepreneurship:
- Viking – fearless warrior with a loud voice
- Gladiator – practice warrior with armor; a process; and practice every single day; nothing is random.
- Knights of the round table – get single person sitting around the table has a skill set better than yours.
- Sensei – Maintain the vision of the company. Do not run out of money;
- Start early and don’t listen to the old wisdom; teach your kids entrepreneurship at a young age.
- “Make sure that you do everything in your power to actually go out there and make it a success as opposed to thinking and talking about making it a success.”
About the Guest:
Brian Mac Mahon is the founder of Expert DOJO and he has consulted and coached in over 35 countries bringing a global perspective to starting and growing a small business. He has experience of working with thousands of small businesses over the years. Brian heads Expert DOJO the hyper-growth startup program that has access to thousands of experts and mentors who will help any entrepreneur find what they need to pursue their small business dream.
About the Host:
Philip Topham is The Savvy Founder. Philip has an inquisitive mind and passion for ideas. He’s impatient to see tomorrow’s future today. He focuses on helping technical founders unlock their pragmatic dreamer and develop their business skills and social capital. With more than 25 years across start-ups and corporate roles, Philip has been everything from janitor to the Founder and Chief Everything Officer.
Philip, can be found camping, hiking, or playing billiards with friends; and he loves a good ‘international’ pot luck.
. Words of Wisdom
- Ideas are worthless; revenues are priceless; surround yourself with smart people.
- Life is a journey – mole hills or mountains? it’s your choice.
Connect with Philip at:
Linkedin – https://www.linkedin.com/in/philiptopham
Twitter – https://www.twitter.com/thesavvyfounder
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/thesavvyfounder
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/thesavvyfounder
Website – https://www.philiptopham.com
Clubhouse – @thesavvyfounder
Free resources: 10 Most Fixable Pitch Deck Mistakes @ https://www.thesavvyfounder.com
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for listening to our podcast! If you enjoyed this episode and think that others could benefit from listening, please share it using the social media buttons on this page.
Do you have some feedback or questions about this episode? Leave a comment in the section below!
Follow the podcast
If you would like to get automatic updates of new podcast episodes, you can follow the podcast on Apple Podcasts or on your favorite podcast app.
Leave us a review
Ratings and reviews from our listeners are extremely valuable to us and greatly appreciated. They help our podcast rank higher on Apple Podcasts, which exposes our show to more awesome listeners like you. If you have a minute, please leave an honest review.